Application and requirements

To Canada with Au Pair New ZealandIf you are a New Zealand citizen ?and are between 18 and 35 (inclusive) years old you can become an au pair in Canada as both countries have a bilateral youth mobility arrangement. The minimum duration is 6 months. In order to obtain a work permit (Working Holiday category) you need to have a valid passport for the duration of your stay in Canada and your work permit will not be longer than the validity of your passport. It is a requirement that you have no children, no criminal record, a return ticket prior to departure or enough funds to purchase a departure ticket for the end of your authorized stay in Canada. You must also have a health insurance for the duration of your stay and might have to present evidence of this when you enter Canada. Experience with children is also a necessity.

If you wish to apply, we need you to send us an application form, a letter to your host family, a photo collage or video presentation, 2 character and 2 childcare references (not filled out by friends or family members), a police clearance certificate, a medical check, a copy of your passport, a copy of your first aid course if you have participated in one and a copy of your driving licence.


As an au pair, your primary responsibility is to look after the host family’s children. Alongside childcare you may be asked to help out with household chores as part of your duties, but these should only be light household chores, as your responsibility is to look after the children, not to clean the house.

Rights and Responsibilities

Work and free time

There are no specific regulations when it comes to the number of working hours in Canada. However, from our experience we recommend that you work 25 to 30 hours per week. The host family can ask you to do some babysitting up to 3 evenings per week, which should be included in your working time. As an au pair, you are entitled to have at least one day off per week. This day should be on a Sunday at least once every month.


The Working Holiday Programme doesn’t regulate how much holiday you are entitled to during your stay in Canada. However, our local partner agency recommends families to give two weeks of holiday for a stay of six months. If you wish to stay for less than 6 months, you can use this value to calculate your holiday accordingly.

Language course

If you stay in the French part of Canada, you can participate in a language course. Usually, you pay for this yourself.

Accommodation and meals

You are entitled to have your own room at your host family’s home. The family shall also provide you with meals. Naturally, this also applies in case of illness or during your holidays.

Pocket money and travel costs

Go to Canada with Au Pair New Zealand 3Your host family will give you pocket money in exchange for your help. Au pairs in Canada are paid at least minimum wage minus room and board. Regulations concerning the minimum wage vary for each province/ territory. In Ontario, for example, weekly costs for room and board are calculated at C$ 85.25. Currently the general minimum wage in Ontario is approx. C$11, so if you work 30 hours, you will receive C$ 330 (pocket money) – C$ 85.25 (room and board) = ?C$ 244.75 per week. In addition, your host family will deduct EI (Employment Insurance), CPP (Canada Pension Plan) and income tax from your pay. ?However, you can assume that you will receive a net amount of approx. C$ 200 per week (ca. 220 NZD per week).

Normally, it is expected that you pay for your flight to and from Canada. If your host family is happy with the help you provide, they may possibly pay your return trip or part of the cost. However, the family is not obliged to do so.


You will need a working holiday visa to work in Canada. We will assist you with your visa application, but the most up to date information can be found on the website of the Canadian Government.


The cost to participate in the Au Pair Canada programme is 350 NZD and covers the preparation of your stay. This also includes an interview, assistance to find you a host family and local support when you have arrived for the duration of your stay.