Application and requirements

To the UK with Au Pair New ZealandYou can apply to become an au pair in England, Scotland or Wales as New Zealand has a Youth Mobility Scheme with the United Kingdom. If you wish to spend some time as an au pair in Britain, this is possible if you are minimum 18 and maximum 27 years old and are not married.

Au Pair New Zealand will help you with your application process, host family search and support during your stay in the UK. The documents we need to start this process are an application form, a passport photo, 2 character and 2 childcare references, a police check, a medical check, a photo collage or video and copies of your passport, first aid course if applicable and driving licence. All information provided must be truthful and references shall not be filled out by friends or family members.


You will help with general duties around the house, including childcare, some light housework, preparing meals and babysitting. Attitude is everything in an au pair. Most duties can be ?learned? but it?s your approach to it that really matters. The overwhelming reason why families invite au pairs into their home is to make a difference to their hectic lives. They are looking for someone to lighten the burden, provide a little respite and to have fun with the children. The last thing tired parents want is another (albeit older) child to look after. The ideal is a willing, helpful person who is happy to ?muck in? where needed and who performs tasks without being asked more than once.

Rights and Responsibilities

In the UK, the rights of the au pair are based on the guidelines of BAPAA, the British Au Pair Association umbrella.

Work and free time

In the UK, there are 2 types of au pair jobs available:

An Au Pair can work up to 25 hours per week, normally spread over 5 days, being 5 hours per day. Some babysitting in the evening may be required, which will be no more than 2 evenings per week inclusive for your payment of pocket money. If more babysitting is required from the family for the evening other than the 2 days then it is up to you to communicate with your family to do this. If you do extra babysitting then the host family will pay you extra.

An Au Pair PLUS can work 35 hours a week, normally spread over 5 days and again 2 evenings per week babysitting in the evening all inclusive of your pocket money. You will be paid more, as you work more hours.

You have 2 days off per week.


As from September 2010, BAPAA recommends 4 weeks per year (or 1.66 days per month pro-rata if the placement is shorter than a year), plus 8 Bank / Public Holidays. ?The matter of paid holidays should be discussed and agreed between you and your host family. The family must specify your entitlement to paid holidays and must state when they can be taken or if there are any times which are inconvenient to them. ?Holiday times are to be mutually agreed between the host family and yourself at all times. If a host family wishes to take you on a holiday with them, it must be decided in advance if it is a holiday for you as well, or if you will be working i.e babysitting.

Accommodation and meals

Your host family will provide you will your own room and all meals.

Pocket money, travel costs and insurance.

Go to the UK with Au Pair New ZealandYour weekly allowance, or pocket money will vary depending on whether you are an au pair or an au pair plus. You can expect to receive a minimum of ?70 ? 75 ( ca. 150 – 160 NZD) per week as a normal au pair working 25 hours a week, and an au pair plus will receive a minimum of ?90 (ca. 195 NZD) per week. This amount is regulated by BAPAA standards who work alongside the Government in raising standards.

Please note that UK income tax is payable on income over ?10,000 per annum. ??Your host family is responsible for ensuring income tax and National Insurance contributions are paid, if applicable. You can check with the HMRC for further information on income tax and National Insurance thresholds.

You pay for your own return flight and make sure you have a valid travel and health insurance for the duration of your stay.


If you are a New Zealand citizen and want to come to the UK as an au pair, you can apply for a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa. This visa will allow you to live and work in the UK for up to 2 years if you are between 18 and 30 years old and have ?1,890 (ca. 4100 NZD) in savings.You can enter the UK at any time while your visa is valid, and leave and come back at any time during your stay. Check the Home Office website for more information and updates. You can apply for your Tier 5 Youth Mobility Visa online.


The cost to participate in the Au Pair UK programme is 350 NZD and covers the preparation of your stay. This also includes an interview, assistance to find you a host family and local support when you have arrived for the duration of your stay.